Off The Beaten Track
Based in Kiel, Germany
The Cost of Recovery is a third-person narrative adventure game that lets you experience the different perspectives and emotional journeys of four protagonists when one of them suddenly suffers a stroke. We all have our own ways of dealing with difficult situations but rarely have the chance to put ourselves into each other’s perspective. Take control of Abigail, Noah, Hailey, and Liam to experience their stories through exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue, and emotion-based minigames that are designed to evoke specific emotions and put you into the protagonist’s shoes. Can they all get through this together or will everything start to fall apart?
Off The Beaten Track is an indie game developer, creating video games that make you feel.
- Third-person adventure gameplay mixed with diverse vignette games.
- A mature, personal, and nuanced story that goes deep into internal conflicts.
- Experience different perspectives by playing as four different characters.
- Short but sweet: the game is designed to last about two play sessions.
- no fighting, take your time, play at your own pace
Announcement Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "First place - Winners of the GründerCup KielRegion 2019" a regional competition for startups in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
- "Best of Show Award - Hamburg Games Conference 2021" virtual conference, powered by Xsolla
- "Finalist #PitchYaGame Awards November 2021" global competition rating game pitches on Twitter, created by Liam Twose
- "Liz Fodor – Nomination for Best International Voiceover Performance for the "The Cost of Recovery" Trailer " The One Voice Awards (UK) 2021
- "The Cost of Recovery: Developing a Narrative Game in Unity"
- Arti Sergeev, 80 Level
- "Making the Cost of Recovery (A Game about a Stroke) - Off The Beaten Track Interview"
- Amiad Fredman, Digital Doc Games on Youtube
- "Jens Bahr And Ines (The Cost of Recovery) Developer Interview "
- Josh, Indie Pod Podcast
- "The Cost of Recovery Preview"
- Andy Robertson, Family Video Game Database (TamingGaming)
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Off The Beaten Track
Off The Beaten Track is an indie video game developer located in Kiel, Germany. While working on our own project "The Cost of Recovery", we're also working with others to help them develop games, apps and other digital tools. Contact us for inquiries on how we can assist you with: Gamification, Game Development (e.g. Serious Games), Workshops, Talks and Consultation.
More information on Off The Beaten Track, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Cost of Recovery Credits
Intern 2D Art