The Cost of Recovery is a third-person narrative adventure game that lets you experience the different perspectives and emotional journeys of four protagonists when one of them suddenly suffers a stroke. We all have our own ways of dealing with difficult situations but rarely have the chance to put ourselves into each other’s perspective. Take control of Abigail, Noah, Hailey, and Liam to experience their stories through exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue, and emotion-based minigames that are designed to evoke specific emotions and put you into the protagonist’s shoes. Can they all get through this together or will everything start to fall apart?
Off The Beaten Track is an indie game developer, creating video games that make a difference.
- Third-person adventure gameplay mixed with diverse vignette games.
- A mature, personal, and nuanced story that goes deep into internal conflicts.
- Experience different perspectives by playing as four different characters.
- Short but sweet: the game is designed to last about two play sessions.
- no fighting, take your time, play at your own pace
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- First place – Winners of the GründerCup KielRegion 2019 – a regional competition for startups in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
- Best of Show Award – Hamburg Games Conference 2021 – virtual conference, powered by Xsolla
- PitchYaGame Awards November 2021 Finalist – a live pitching event on Twitter
- Nomination for Best Overall Performance in a Movie or Game Trailer for Liz Fodor at the One Voice Conference 2021 – a conference honoring voice over talents in various categories
- “The Cost of Recovery: Developing a Narrative Game in Unity”
– Arti Sergeev, 80.lv
- “Making the Cost of Recovery (A Game about a Stroke) – Off The Beaten Track Interview”
– Amiad Fredman, Digital Doc Games on Youtube
- “Jens Bahr and Ines (The Cost of Recovery) Developer Interview“
– Josh, Indie Pod Podcast
- “The Cost of Recovery Preview“
– Andy Robertson, Family Video Game Database (TamingGaming)